remove

one room challenge: week 1


ok, i'm back!  a little late to the draw today as i hemmed and hawed about doing the challenge amidst all that is going on.  i'm finishing up one client's kitchen and bedroom and learning to balance work and home life along with being the class parent representative at my son's school.  balance is and always will be important to me; and having enough "free" time to be creative or just to veg out.  i'm just amazed at all the working momma's out there that seem to do it all.  it seems that the only way i will actually work on my condo is through this challenge!  my energy goes to other projects; my love of freedom, of discovering cool places to eat and shop, and cool things to do.  so, this challenge is good for me; to reign me to create the space i dream of (literally all the time)!  

the wonderful linda at calling it home created this event.  20, very talented design bloggers will revamp spaces and post on their blogs on wednesday over the next six weeks.  and, others like myself, will link up our designs every thursday. 

my space this time around is my living area/dining area.  i live in a condo (didn't want to do lawn work!) so the living and dining area are combined into one large area.  here are the before photos.


 this is the whole space.  a new couch and chair are desperately needed.  my kids do not want me to get a new couch.  they love the soft, suede-like micro-fiber and comfort of this couch...but the time has come.  it is really beyond time and i cannot wait to put it in the sofa graveyard!


 this was taken when i had the carpets cleaned.  i love my farmhouse table that was custom-made and has 200 year old wooden planks, hand formed wrought iron nails, and hand-turned legs.  this baby will stay.

this is such a horrible shot!  i think the light coming in isn't helping.  a corner needing much attention.  the lazy-boy chair may be recovered but i think it's a bit too large for this space...we love to recline in it and watch tv though.  the windows need treatments of some sort too. 

here is my design inspiration board for the space:


my love of white, feminine yet edgy and gilded is coming through in this design.  these are the colors, textures and overall design look i'll draw from.  my budget isn't huge enough to for all these great pieces (i'd die for the aerin console table), and most of it will be eaten up by the sofa, but it is always fun to create on a budget.  stay tuned to see what comes of it!  and visit here to see what all the other designers have in store for the next six weeks.  xoxo, dana



17 comments:

  1. It's going to be amazing...looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ORC inspiration has gold and luxe metallics as well. I love your table!! I cant wait to watch the progress....good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi india...glad to hear you are into gold as well. the table has had many changes over the years, it started out in my old country house. looking forward to watching your progress as well. dana

      Delete
  3. Love your inspiration ideas. Looking forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there lady! so glad you are "in" again too. i'm inspired all right! looking forward to seeing your bar. xx, dana

      Delete
  4. Dana! OMG what a space. Love the plans. Thanks for the comment on my blog by the way and for following along. Good luck with the space and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy to have found you. looking forward to following you for the next 6 weeks on this orc journey! dana

      Delete
  5. LOVE your dining table!!! Such a great piece, I'm glad it's staying. I love your plan, your mood board is so glam. I'm looking forward to following along with your progress and I'm very much looking forward to the reveal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you lesley...that table has been with me for a long time! it's a keeper for sure but i've got to blend it into my glam look with lots of french influence. your blog is terrific, i'm a new follower. dana

      Delete
  6. Your design board is truly so stunning, and is just perfectly you! I can't wait to see what you do here! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the direction you are headed in! Can't wait to follow along. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi erin. why thank you, and welcome to the fun! dana

      Delete
  8. Yahoo, so excited you decided to join the fun aka craziness again! I'm in the same boat, almost didn't do it with all that is going on, but couldn't resist! OK, let's just say your inspiration/mood board is awesome and has GLAM written all over it! I have the same problem in our family room with a well worn pull out Sofa I've had since graduating college, let's just say over 10 years ago. My kids love it, spill everything on it and for that I've washed it so many times the upholstery is starting to ripe. Can't wait to see you pull this GLAM makeover off! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we must be kindred spirits! my sofa is almost 10 years old, and i washed and washed and washed those darn cushions year after year to keep my kids happy. my glam is getting tempered with my love of french too, but it will still have some glam! i love sofia's room/plan you put together and that dresser is so perfect in so many ways. xx, dana

      Delete
  9. Had to jump back to week one b/c I can't believe I missed you!! Yay! You have a lot of great pieces already and love your mood board! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete